Self-esteem refers to the possibilities and abilities that the child himself believes that he has or does not have to perform in various activities, tasks, or anything else he has to deal with.
In another article, we have referred to the kid’s low self-confidence. But there are subtle and key points that make us understand the differences between self-confidence and self-esteem. They are two completely different concepts that however have some gaps. It’s necessary to understand that self-esteem and self-confidence aren’t the same.
When the issue is about how the child sees himself, then we are talking about self-esteem. Whether he thinks he is beautiful or ugly, whether he is worth it or not as a person, or he believes he is smart or not.
Just daily tips to help my child
- The role of the family is very important in these cases. For example, when our child has more weight than he should, we emphasize by saying “How did you become like this?”. This way we destroy his self-esteem. He will either avoid looking in the mirror, he will feel bad even for a new outfit or he will even have eating disorders (see also How to love yourself)… Something you do as a parent would not want for your child, however, we all ignore that even one comment is enough!
- Try not to associate reward or failure with any food dessert or snack. A beautiful or productive day does not necessarily have to be combined with a snack. Neither a bad day with some sadness, failure or more stress combined with the consumption of sweets.
- Allow them to express their opinions and desires and not be passive in their own lives doing what others ask of them. Just remember… These “others” can be you today, but tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, in 2,3,5 years? What if at school or on a walk someone asks them to do something they do not want to do?
- Enhance their need and desire for exerciseFport is beneficial not only for health but also for psychology. Think about how much more beneficial a team sport is, where the child will not only learn to be a member of a team, share, to obey the rules, and the needs of the team, he is also faced with comparisons which, in combination with everything else, will enable him not to be disappointed and to try. He will defeat defeatism!
- Speak nicely to the children, emphasizing, without exaggeration, of course, some elements of their character, some of their abilities. Always about things that are true and not something that is not real. Encourage children to do what you think they can accomplish and let them try, if necessary, over and over again…
Because every child and every case is different, let’s not forget that there are specialists who can help us with our child, in order to handle the situation in the best possible way. Do not be afraid to ask for their help!
Let’s give our children the love, care and attention they need and then we will be able to understand them better!
How fairytales help your child?
How important playing with our kids is
Family and the circle of life
How important is the daily routine for kids?
8 Ways to be protected from Solar Radiation
Follow and share: